For over 70 years, the Preston Lions Football Club has grown to become one of the most recognised, respected and popular sporting clubs in Australia. Throughout this time, it has left an indelible mark on the Australian football landscape. Currently based in Melbourne’s outer-northern suburbs, the club was originally created as a focal point for the newly immigrated Macedonian community to gather, socialise and provide the Australian-Macedonian youth with the opportunity to learn and play the ‘world game’ that was so popular back in their homeland of Macedonia.
The Makedonia Soccer Club, as it was originally known, became a registered member of the Victorian Soccer Federation in 1959 and began playing in sanctioned competition. However, the club was established as far back as 1947 when members from the local Macedonian community began kicking a soccer ball around near the site of the current day Melbourne Zoo, at Royal Park in Parkville. Who would have thought back then that those tentative steps would lead to the development of a sporting icon in the Australian-Macedonian community that would go on to achieve such success at the highest level of football competition in this country, some 30-40 years later.
B.T. Connor Reserve
200 Broadhurst Avenue
(Corner Radford Road)
Reservoir, Victoria 3073